Healthy Kids Day is the nation’s largest day to promote healthy & safe lifestyles to children and their families. We will have a table for making take-home vegetable seedlings.
Join Suzanne Smith-Oscilowski, an Environmental Educator from the Wissahickon Valley Watershed Association, as she discusses the importance of Rain Garden's and how you can create one in your yard.
What is a rain garden?
A garden designed as a shallow depression to collect water that runs off your roof, driveway and other paved surfaces.
Why plant a rain garden?
- Increase the amount of water that filters into the ground and recharges aquifers
- Protect our community from flooding
- Protect streams and lakes from pollutants- lawn fertilizers, pesticides, oil and other car fluids
- Enhance the beauty of our yards and neighborhoods
- Provide habitat for beneficial insects, butterflies and birds